Thursday, January 14, 2016

Icons on Mac Desktop or Folder Keep Re-arranging Themselves -- Some Solutions

I keep some folders on my Mac desktop in a specific arrangement that helps my workflow.  This problem has happened to me a few times in the past years -- I have the files (icons) arranged the way I like them on the desktop, or in a folder -- then suddenly my Mac rearranges all the icons into some random (to me) arrangement.  It's a pain the butt.

Here are some solutions:

The best solution that I have found is below.  In perusing various Mac forums, I see solution number 2 being mentioned more commonly -- but it has almost never worked for me.  In fact, last night, I tried solution number 2 after arranging my desktop the way I preferred (after it got randomly arranged) -- and deleting the .DS_Store file caused my icons to go into chaos mode again!  Talk about wasted work and time.

1.  The best solution for me: try resetting finder preferences.  Delete the file /users/username/library/preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. then control-option-click on Finder in the dock and choose "relaunch".


2.  Trash the hidden .DS_Store file that is in all Mac folders.  Here are three ways to do it:

Use the free TinkerTool app.  In Finder options - select 1st one - "Show hidden and system files"

Relaunch finder to activate changes. Trash the .DS_Store file on the right top of the screen. Wait a couple of seconds before it rebuilds or relaunch the finder again.

You can show hidden files using Terminal commands, and here are some other suggestions:
...

--> I found out that using the freeware Onyx it is very easy to delete the desktop's .DS_Store file.

-->

I used "COCKTAIL" and made the invisible files visible. I then deleted only one invisible file named ".ds_store" - restarted - and all icons stay where they're supposed to now

-->

...had the same problem of icons ending up on the right after any restart (in both 10.5 and 10.6), which was resolved by deleting the hidden .DS_Store file on the desktop. It rebuilt itself and the problem went away. YMMV

No comments: