Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Paint on Ford models around 2006 peels off!! No easy fix!

This is an alert to other Ford customers.  I did not learn this until recently and am posting this in case other Ford customers need information. 

 I have a 2006 Ford E-150 van.  The van's paint is Ext PNT L2 Ford true blue.  I bought the van used in 2008 with 18,000 miles on it.  I have 25,000 miles on it now. 


I noticed paint peeling off the channel between the roof and side about two years ago.  I believe that water had collected in this channel before I bought the van.  Now this area is rusting.  There are several areas where paint is flaking away on both sides of the roof. 

I took the van into a collision repair facility, and the technician told me that this paint problem was a problem with many Ford models in 2006 and some other years.  He showed me other areas where the paint is peeling off -- under the dash, and starting on my side panels, where rock chips take off some paint.  

There is no solution offered by Ford that I know of.  The technician told me that Ford never issued a recall for this problem, and that they fixed this problem only if customers brought this to their attention within the warranty period.  


This is not a problems that can be fixed easily.  To fix my current problems, where there is rust, would cost $1500 to $2500.  The techniciam told me that the best solution will be to sell the van quickly before all the paint peels off!  A cheap but inadequate fix would be to cover the rock chips with clear nail polish.  Paint from a rattle can would make the van look crappy and would not solve the rust problem. 

I’ve had numerous cars in my 51 years of life.  No other vehicle has had a problem this severe or glaring.  I can also say that this Ford van has the same design as our family had in our RV back in the 1970s, almost nothing has changed.  The back seat is so long and close to the passenger seat that is is difficult for passengers to get in the back.  My dogs have an extremely hard time trying to squeeze between the passenger seat and the back seat too. 

Avoid Ford! 

No comments: